2018 All-State Orchestra Conductor
Dr. Soo Han is the Baldwin Wallace Conservatory of Music Director of Orchestral Studies and an active clinician and guest conductor across the United States and abroad.
Chair placement auditions are held just after registration and before the first rehearsal.
Dates and Audition Location
- There is a single audition for All-State Orchestra strings (including harp) and piano. These auditions are to be recorded by either the District Director or the district’s Orchestra Chair. The date and location will be set by each district. Check your district’s calendar.
- All recorded auditions must be received by the Orchestra Division Chair no later than September 19, 2018.
- Chair-placement auditions will take place at the All-State Orchestra site just prior to the first All-State rehearsal.
- $15 per audition, paid to the district. The District Director will submit a single district check for all audition entries to the Orchestra Division Chair.
- All forms related to All-State Orchestra auditions can be found under Forms: All-State
- There is a single audition for All-State Orchestra.
- The auditions will be audio recorded by the District Director or the district’s Orchestra Chair and submitted to the Orchestra Division Chair for adjudication. See “All-State Orchestra Audition Script” for information about the recording process.
- District Director/Orchestra Chair must complete and submit separate audition lists/forms with the recordings for each instrument.
2019 Violin Participants Audition List/Form
2019 Viola Participants Audition List/Form
2019 Cello Participants Audition List/Form
2019 Bass Participants Audition List/Form
2019 Piano/Harp Participants Audition List/Form
- There is a 4-year rotation cycle of audition materials for strings, harp, and piano, consisting of scales (30% of score) and prepared selections (70% of score). Note: The Orchestra Division Chair can also elect to require orchestral excerpts from the upcoming All-State repertoire. If this occurs, the information will be posted to the LMEA website by the last Saturday in August.
Set I – 2016-17
Set II – 2017-18
Set III – 2018-19
Set IV – 2019-20
- Wind players and percussionists will be selected from the All-State Band auditions.
Audition Results and Chair Placement
- The audition results will create a preliminary rank order of students in all sections and will determine the assignment of violins to 1st and 2nd violin parts. They will be posted under Audition Results: All-State
- Chair placement auditions are scheduled during the afternoon of the first All-State Orchestra rehearsal. Audition material will consist of excerpts from the current All-State Orchestra program. Music will be sent to the District Director or district’s designated Orchestra Chair approximately one month before the All-State event. Additional information will also be posted on this page as it becomes available.
- Ties for chair placement will be broken by the rank orders from the initial audition.