1st Round Auditions:
- Dates, fees, and locations are set by each district. These auditions must use the same audition materials and follow the same audition procedure as 2nd round. All 1st round auditions must be completed by the last Saturday in September.
- Multiple instruments – Any student who qualifies and auditions for 2nd round All-State on multiple instruments will declare his/her choice of instrument by rank (1st choice, 2nd choice, etc.) upon the conclusion of first-round auditions. This choice will be noted on the district allotment form.
- Bass Trombone (1st round) – the bass trombone auditions and positions in the all-state bands and orchestra is being reinstated beginning with the 2019-2020 school years with the following revisions and provisions:
1. Students auditioning for “Bass Trombone” must audition on an actual bass trombone as defined by its bore size, configuration of rotor(s)/tubing, and ability to play the full range of all excepts in the four-year audition cycle (low G).
2. District first-round allotments will revert to previous quota of four tenor trombones and one bass trombone.
3. In the event a district produces no bass trombone auditions, or none qualify per the above rule, no bass trombone will advance to the second-round from that district.
2nd Round Auditions:
Important Audition Dates, Fees, and Locations:
- Date: Saturday, October 12, 2019
- Audition Times: Each district’s audition times are sent to the District Director and are also published in the September edition of the Louisiana Musician (mailed to all members and also available online).
- Fee: $15 per audition, paid to the district. Each District Director will submit a single district check to the Band Division Chair for all 2nd round audition entries from their district.
- 2019 – 2nd Round Location: Pineville High School, 1511 Line St, Pineville, LA 71360
Required Form – All students auditioning must submit this form to their district director at first round or no later than the last Saturday in September.
- Scales – all twelve major scales and the chromatic scale must be played in the order and with the articulation found on the All-State Scale Sheets. (30% of score) (All scale sheets have been updated – 8/19)
- Percussion will also need the 4-Mallet Exercise Sheet, which contains all four exercise sets.
Set I – 2016-17
Set II – 2017-18
Set III – 2018-19
Set IV – 2019-20
- Prepared Selections – There is a 4-year rotation consisting of one slow and one fast selection. (40% of score) Note: Percussion audition includes requirements on melodics, snare, and tympani.
- Sight-Reading – All students will sight read a short selection. (30% of score)
- Each student auditioning on a wind instrument must prepare all audition etudes in their entirety. Judges may elect not to hear an entire etude but must hear the same section for each student who auditions.
- The student may use his/her own music for the audition.
- Prepared materials constitute forty percent of the total audition score. Each etude will be scored independently with a maximum of 20 points each. The following areas will be considered when scoring each individual etude: Tone, Intonation, Technique, Interpretation, and Musical Effect.
- Additional information can be found in the LMEA Handbook.
Important Note about Bass Trombone Selection:
- Students auditioning for “Bass Trombone” must audition on an actual bass trombone as defined by its bore size, configuration of rotor(s)/tubing, and ability to play the full range of all excepts in the four-year audition cycle (low G).
- Student’s score must rank within the range of the tenor trombone scores in the particular ensemble or be next in line in order to be placed in that ensemble.
- In the event that there is no bass trombone audition score ranking within the range specified, an additional tenor trombone will be placed in the ensemble.
- Instrumentation will return to previous allotments as follows unless altered by music requirements:
1. Symphonic Band: 6 Tenor Trombones, 1 Bass Trombone
2. Concert Band: 8 Tenor Trombones, 1 Bass Trombone
3. Orchestra: 2 Tenor Trombones, 1 Bass Trombone
- Results will be posted on this website under All-State -> Audition Results: All-State as soon as possible once they are finalized for all ensembles requiring wind and percussion players.
- Assignment to symphonic band, concert band, and orchestra is based on total score. Note: Seniors have a choice between band and orchestra.
- Ties will be broken in the following order: the sight-reading score, the scale score, the prepared material score, a coin toss.