Important Dates and Audition Location
- There is a single audition for All-State Orchestra – strings (including harp) and piano held in each district. Audition date and location will be set by each district. Check your district’s calendar.
- All recorded auditions must be received by the Orchestra Division Chair no later than September 21, 2016.
- Chair-placement auditions will take place at the All-State Orchestra site just prior to the first All-State rehearsal.
- $12 per audition, paid to the district. The District Director will submit a single district check for all audition entries to the Orchestra Division Chair.
- All forms related to All-State auditions for orchestra can be found under All-State -> Forms: All-State
- The district level auditions will be audio recorded by the District Director or the district’s Orchestra Chair and submitted to the Orchestra Division Chair.
- There is a 4-year rotation cycle of audition materials for strings, harp, and piano, consisting of scales (30% of score) and prepared selections (70% of score). Note: The Orchestra Division Chair can also elect to require orchestral excerpts from the upcoming All-State repertoire. If this occurs, the information will be posted to the LMEA website by the last Saturday in August.
Set I – 2016-17
Set II – 2017-18
Set III – 2018-19
Set IV – 2019-20
- Wind players and percussionists will be selected from the All-State Band auditions.
Audition Results and Chair Placement
- The audition results will create a preliminary rank order of students in all sections and will determine the assignment of violins to 1st and 2nd violin parts. They will be posted under All-State -> Audition Results: All-State
- Chair placement auditions are scheduled during the afternoon of the first All-State Orchestra rehearsal. Audition material will consist of excerpts from the current All-State Orchestra program. Music will be sent to the District Director or district’s designated Orchestra Chair approximately one month before the All-State event. Additional information will also be posted on this page as it becomes available.
- Ties for chair placement will be broken by the rank orders from the initial audition.
Additional information can be found in the LMEA Handbook