Regional Assessments will replace State Assessments beginning in 2016. LMEA has divided the state by districts into 3 regions, with the District Director of the host district serving as the Region Director.
- North – Districts 1, 2, 8
- Southwest – Districts 3, 4, 5
- Southeast – Districts 6, 7, 9
The minimum number of ensembles required to host a regional assessment is:
- Band Assessments – minimum of 30 bands over 2 days
- Choir Assessments – minimum of 22 choirs in 1 day
- Orchestra Assessments – There will be a single State Assessment provided 12 groups register. Orchestras may choose to attend a Regional Band Assessment.
Dates and Locations
Based on the date and proximity of a Regional Assessment, an ensemble that qualifies for regional assessments may elect to attend a location outside their “assigned region.” Schools may indicate their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices on the registration form.
If your first choice is your assigned region, you will automatically be accepted at that location. If you are requesting to attend an assessment outside your region as your first choice, be aware that requests will be honored on a first come/first served basis provided there are openings in the schedule once the schools from that region are scheduled.
If an ensemble chooses a region that does not receive enough entries to host an assessment, they will be scheduled at their 2nd choice location.
|North Region: Mark Minton, Region Director 2018|
|Band||April 25 2018||Airline High School|
|Choir||April 24, 2018||Airline High School|
|Southwest Region: Brett Babineaux, Region Director 2018|
|High School Band||April 24-26, 2018||Lake Charles Civic Center|
|High School Choir||April 17, 2018||East Bayou Baptist (Lafayette)|
|Elem./Middle School Band/Orchestra||May 8-9, 2018||UL Lafayette|
|Elem./Middle School Choir||May 7, 2018||UL Lafayette|
|Southeast Region: Jim Trant, Region Director 2018|
|Band||March 19-21, 2018||Nicholls State University|
|Choir||March 22-23, 2018||Nicholls State University|
|State Orchestra||See band dates||Regional Band Assessment Sites|
- Bands and Orchestras: $325 (includes recording fee)
- Choirs: $275 (includes recording fee)
- Late fee (if applicable): $100
- Non-member fee (if applicable): $150
- Only teachers who are members of LMEA or non-members who pay a $150 non-member fee may enter this event.
- Bands, choirs, and orchestras must have earned a rating of I (superior) in concert and no lower than II (excellent) in sight reading at current academic year’s District Performance Assessment.
*Exception: Ensembles receiving a lower rating in the current academic year’s District Assessment are eligible if they received a I in concert and no less than a II in sight reading at the preceding year’s State Performance Assessment under the same director. In addition, the current year’s ensemble must have the same (or a lower) classification as the previous year.
- Single grade ensembles and G classification groups cannot use the previous year’s State Performance Assessment rating to qualify.
- Participation in both concert and sight reading events is required of all entries.
- Groups must enter in the same classification used at the qualifying District Performance Assessment.
- Out-of-state groups may participate in the State Performance Assessment provided they follow the same regulations and eligibility requirements for LMEA members. Each ensemble must pay the non-member fee in lieu of LMEA membership.
Forms and Deadlines
- All registration is online this year. You will be required to login.
- Submit a separate form for each ensemble.
Note: There are separate forms for Choir and Band/Orchestra.
- There is a late fee of $100.00 if form and fee is postmarked or hand delivered after the deadline. ENTRIES are NOT ACCEPTED after the performance schedule is set. NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED AFTER SCHEDULE HAS BEEN SET.
Southeast Region Deadline: March 10, 2018
Southwest and North Regions Deadline: April 1, 2018
- A confirmation of your registration will be sent from [email protected] to the email provided by the ensemble director on the registration form.
- If paying by credit card, sign and submit a copy of your emailed confirmation to Bruce Lambert, LMEA Executive Director, P.O. Box 12046, Lake Charles, LA 70612 by the due date.
- If paying by school check, sign and submit a copy of your emailed confirmation plus your check (made out to LMEA) to Bruce Lambert, LMEA Executive Director, P.O. Box 12046, Lake Charles, LA 70612 by the due date.
- Contact [email protected] if you have difficulties with the registration process.
Schedules and other information will be uploaded to the LMEA website. No schedules or other information will be mailed or emailed.
Performance Time Limits
- Middle School Bands and all Orchestras: 25 minutes
- High School Bands: 30 minutes
- AAAA Bands may request 45 minutes, depending on their program (see handbook for more information)
- All Choirs: 20 minutes
Scores for Judges
- Directors must provide three (3) original scores for each selection to be used by the performance judges.
- LMEA supports 100% the laws regarding the duplication of scores. Any infraction by the duplication of scores without written permission from the publisher will result in the disqualification of the participant. Any director using an e-print score must present documentation indicating that all three (3) of the judges’ sets have been purchased.
- Five categories of rating are possible, I (superior) being highest (I, II, III, IV, V).
- The final rating for a performance is determined from the compilation of individual ratings from each of the three judges. Additional information on Standards of Adjudication can be found in the LMEA Handbook.
- A State Sweepstakes trophy will be awarded to ensemble receiving a rating of I in concert and I in sight reading.
- A State Plaque will be awarded to an ensemble receiving a rating of I in concert OR sight reading, but not in both.
Additional information can be found in the LMEA Handbook.
Please read it carefully.