LMEA sponsors the following types of assessment events for individuals and ensembles. Links are in sidebar.
- Solo and Small Ensemble Assessments are for individual performers, small ensembles, and student conductors and require the performance of traditional literature. These are closed events.
- District Large Ensemble Assessments are for bands, choirs, and orchestras of all sizes and at all grade levels. These events require both performance and sight-reading.
- Marching Band Assessments provide an opportunity for the assessment of marching bands, auxiliary units, percussion lines, and drum majors.
- Adjudicators are well-respected music educators with experience in the events they are judging.
- Adjudication for all events is based on national standards of performance and/or sight-reading.