Selecting Performance Music
- All bands and wind ensembles classified AAAA, AAA, AA, A, or B must perform three selections, two of which may be chosen from any source.
- The third or required selection must be chosen from the current LMEA Band Prescribed Music List according to the ensemble’s classification:
|Classification||LMEA Prescribed Music List|
|All 7, 8, 9 schools||Any grade on list|
- The above list is a minimum level. Any group may perform a required number from a higher grade level without changing its classification.
- Second groups (training groups) should be so designated on the entry form (Example: AAA-second group). Second groups may choose the required selection from the classification two grades lower on the LMEA Prescribed Music List.
- Third groups may perform music classified one grade lower than the second group.
- All other concert band classifications must perform three selections chosen from any source.
- Wind ensembles will not be permitted to perform the same literature as that performed by the symphonic/concert groups in that school year.
- No group will be allowed to perform more than one selection by the same composer or arranger.
- Substitution to Prescribed Music Request Form (beginning in the 2018-2019 schools)
- The Louisiana Band Prescribed Music List for 2018-2019
Performance Time Limits (3 selections)
- Time limits include entering and exiting stage.
|Class 9A and below||25 minutes|
|Class B and above||30 minutes|
|Wind Ensembles||30 minutes|
|45 minutes (if required piece is 18 minutes or longer)|
|Any other school playing Grade 5 required selection||45 minutes (if required piece is 18 minutes or longer)|
- Warm-up times for all ensembles will coincide with their performance time limits.
- An ensemble’s rating will be lowered by 1 division rating for any violation to the above time limit which causes the assessment performance to be delayed by 10 minutes or more.