Regional Assessments will replace State Assessments beginning in 2016. LMEA has divided the state by districts into 3 regions, with the District Director of the host district serving as the Region Director.
- North – Districts 1, 2, 8
- Southwest – Districts 3, 4, 5
- Southeast – Districts 6, 7, 9
Provided the minimum number of ensembles is met, a region will host:
- Band Assessments – minimum of 30 bands over 2 days
- Choir Assessments – minimum of 22 choirs in 1 day
- Orchestra Assessments – There will be a single State Assessment provided 12 groups register. Orchestras may choose to attend a Regional Band Assessment.
Dates and Locations
Based on the date and proximity of a Regional Assessment, a school may elect to attend an assessment outside their “assigned region.” Schools will need to select a 1st and 2nd choice of regional sites on the registration form. If a group chooses a region that does not receive enough entries to host an assessment, they will be placed at their 2nd choice site.
|North Region: Johnny Walker, Region Director 2017|
|Band||April 26-27, 2017||Pineville High School|
|Choir||April 25, 2017||Tioga High School|
|Southwest Region: Richard Bresowar, Region Director 2017|
|Band||April 26-28, 2017||Baton Rouge High School|
|Choir||April 26-27, 2017||First Baptist Church, Baton Rouge|
|Southeast Region: Jim Trant, Region Director 2017|
|High School Band||April 25-26, 2017||Nicholls State University|
|Elem/Middle School Band||May 10-12, 2017||Nicholls State University|
|High School Choir||April 27, 2017||Central Lafourche High School|
|Elem/Middle School Choir||May 9, 2017||Central Lafourche High School|
|State Orchestra||See band dates||Regional Band Assessment Sites|
- Bands and Orchestras: $325 (includes recording fee)
- Choirs: $275 (includes recording fee)
- Late fee (if applicable): $100
- Nonmember fee (if applicable): $150
Forms and Fees
- Submit a separate form for each ensemble
- Postmark date for all regions is April 1, 2017
- Forms and fees should be mailed to the Executive Director (see form)
- Forms can be found in the September issue of The Louisiana Musician and on this website.
- Note: There is a separate form for Choir and Band/Orchestra
Performance Time Limits
- Middle School Bands and all Orchestras: 25 minutes
- High School Bands: 30 minutes
- AAAA Bands may request 45 minutes, depending on their program (see handbook for more information)
- All Choirs: 20 minutes
- Bands, choirs, and orchestras must have earned a rating of I (superior) in concert and no lower than II (excellent) in sight reading at current year’s District Performance Assessment.
*Exception: Ensembles receiving a lower rating in current year’s District Assessment are eligible if a I in concert and no less than a II in sight reading were received at the preceding year’s State Performance Assessment under the same director. Single grade ensembles and G classification groups cannot use the previous year’s State Performance Assessment rating to qualify.
- If entering based on a rating of I at the previous year’s State Performance Assessment, the ensemble must have the same director and same or lower classification.
- Participation in both concert and sight reading events is required of all entries.
- Groups must enter in the same classification used at the qualifying District Performance Assessment.
- Out-of-state groups may participate in the State Performance Assessment providing they follow the same regulations and eligibility requirements for LMEA members. Each ensemble must pay the non-member fee in lieu of LMEA membership.
- Five categories of rating are possible, I being highest (I, II, III, IV, V).
- The final rating for a performance is determined from the compilation of individual ratings from each of the three judges. SEE Ratings LINK.
- State Sweepstakes trophy will be awarded to ensemble receiving a rating of I in concert and I in sight reading.
Additional information can be found in the LMEA Handbook.
Please read it carefully.